Lamb Weston's stewardship extends from the land, to our production facilities, to the way we transport products to customers around the world. Every step of the way we preserve and protect natural resources by controlling energy and water usage, and by reducing waste and pollution. This philosophy goes back decades, to our pioneering efforts to capture and re-use thermal heat. And it remains in practice today as we develop and extend best practices to all of our operations.
Lamb Weston sustainability highlights:
- Our Agricultural Services team engages in year-round, on-site partnerships with each of our growers, field-by-field, to ensure quality and to support safe, efficient, and responsible farming practices.
- Our comprehensive Integrated Pest Management program, followed by us and all of the farmers who grow crops for us, dictates that we use inputs, such as water, nutrients and crop protection products, only when needed.
ConAgra Foods has named 10 of our plants Zero Waste Champions for employees' efforts to divert more than 95 percent of solid waste from landfills through reuse and recycling. Our Zero Waste Champions are located in:
- American Falls, Idaho
- Boardman, Ore.
- Connell, Wash.
- Hermiston, Ore.
- Park Rapids, Minn.
- Pasco, Wash.
- Paterson, Wash.
- Quincy, Wash.
- Richland, Wash.
- Twin Falls, Idaho
- In the past three years, four of our plants in Boardman, Ore., in Quincy and Richland, Wash., and in Park Rapids, Minn. earned the U.S. EPA ENERGY STAR certification, one of the most recognized green marks in the world.
- Our Delhi, La., sweet potato plant is the first frozen food processing plant in the world to achieve Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Platinum certification for its sustainable, green building design and processes.
- Lamb Weston again recently purchased Renewable Energy Credits to offset 100 percent of the electricity used at our Washington and Idaho administrative offices and 100 percent of the electricity used to make Alexia All Natural frozen potato, bread and appetizer products a purchase that is the environmental equivalent of removing nearly 7,540 vehicles from the road for one year.
Lamb Weston won eight ConAgra Foods Sustainable Development Awards, internal awards intended to drive and reward innovative approaches to sustainability that produce tangible business results. In that past five years, entries into the awards program have resulted in environmental achievements, including:
- Reducing carbon emissions by more than 125,000 metric tons
- Reducing landfill waste by 120,000 tons
- Conserving 908 million gallons of water
- Reducing use of packaging material by more than 15,290 tons